Sunday, July 5, 2009

Oldie But Goodie - Catherine, Called Birdy

Catherine, Called Birdy
by Karen Cushman

My first exposure to this entertaining (if not entirely historically accurate) novel was actually in the delightful audio book version, narrated by Kate Maberly (the young girl who played Mary Lennox in the 1993 version of The Secret Garden). I was so enchanted by the abridged version of the story that I had to read the book for myself. I wasn't disappointed.

The story takes place in the 13th century. Birdy is a 14-year-old girl who has to face a unique problem (by today's standards, anyway): her father wants to marry her off... and the suitors are not exactly to her liking. One, a much older man she refers to as Shaggy Beard, is particularly unappealing. But Birdy is a headstrong sort of girl who isn't going to accept her fate without a fight.

I loved the voice of the narrator, and the descriptions of life in 1290 England were interesting (although they made me realize I wouldn't want to live in that time period, especially as a woman).

If you didn't read Catherine, Called Birdy when it first came out in 1994, maybe now's the time.

1 comment: