Thursday, August 20, 2009

Booking Through Thursday (2)



Booking Through Thursday asks:

What’s the best book you’ve read recently?
(Tell me you didn’t see this one coming?)


It's been a while since I read a book that I really enjoyed. Last November, I read Laura Whitcomb's A Certain Slant of Light. I'd just come from reading Charles de Lint's Dingo (I usually love the author's work, but that book was just bad) and Stephenie Meyer's Breaking Dawn (do I really need to explain?), so it was so refreshing to read something that was just... well, good.

The first thing that grabbed me was the cover. Doesn't this cover make you curious?



When I actually got my hands on the book, though, it was the writing that sucked me straight into the story and kept me reading. I thought the characters were interesting (even the supporting ones), and the story was compelling. My complaints were few and minor.

9 comments:

  1. The cover is sooo creepy. Is it a scary tale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's not really creepy. It's a ghostly romance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title's from one of my favorite Emily Dickinson poems. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I love the cover and the title. Hadn't heard about this book before, but I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this one too! I wonder if this author's most recent book is any good.
    I might have to pick it up sometime to find out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you mean The Fetch? I was really looking forward to that one, too. Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as A Certain Slant of Light. So disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've wanted to read this one for a while. Not sure why I haven't.....

    ReplyDelete