Monday, July 26, 2010

Monday's Question of the Day (18)


Monday's Question of the Day is hosted by Eleni at /-LA FEMME READERS-/

Question:
How influential are reviews when selecting a book to read?

My Answer:
For me, they're probably more influential than they should be. I'm coming to realize that my standards are pretty different from those of a lot of other readers.

I also find that I can't make a judgment call based on one review alone. It helps if I can see other reviews from that same reviewer, especially if I've read those books. That gives me an indication that we're more likely to be on the same page.

Bad reviews will definitely steer me away from a book. Good reviews... well, they used to steer me toward buying a book, but I've been burned so many times recently that I need to be more careful. Five-star reviews don't necessarily mean that I'm going to like a book; and if I don't like it, I'll spend the next few weeks wondering what the heck is wrong with me that I can't see the merits of a book that everyone else seemed to love.


No comments:

Post a Comment