Friday, July 16, 2010

Top Ten Picks: Favorite Books to Movies


Top Ten Picks is hosted by Jillian at Random Ramblings. This week, the topic is "Favorite Books to Movies".

10. Jurassic Park (1993)



This movie was a huge deal when it came out. It was also pretty darn good. If I remember correctly, I read the book after I saw the movie. I liked both. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about the sequel; the book was way better. Oh, well... you win some, you lose some, right?


9. The Little Princess (1939)



Just once, I wish someone would make an adaptation of this story that's true to the book. I do like the characters and most of the story, though. Sara Crewe is a pretty cool kid. And while I like the look of the 1995 version better, Shirley Temple's perkiness is a lot easier to take than Liesel Matthews' breathless, cloying style.


8. The Time Traveler's Wife (2009)



I read this book years ago and loved it. And then I heard that Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston had bought the movie rights... and then they broke up. Years later, the movie finally got made. And I think it turned out pretty good. I was worried that all the time travel might be confusing, but it wasn't.


7. Lantern Hill (1990)



I absolutely adored this made-for-TV movie when it came out. The settings and costumes were just gorgeous (I can't recall when the book was set, but the movie was set in the 1920s or 1930s). When I read the book years later, I was surprised at the differences (the lion incident never made it into the movie... and I think that's probably a good thing). This is a tricky movie to find, but it's a great screen adaptation of one of L. M. Montgomery's works.


6. Ella Enchanted (2004)



I'm probably the only adult who likes the movie version of this book. I saw the movie first, and was then very surprised when I read the book. Aside from the characters' names and Ella's curse of obedience, the two are nothing alike. As a straight adaptation, the movie fails. But if we just say the movie was "inspired by" the book, then both are winners!


5. Matilda (1996)



I honestly can't remember whether I was exposed to the book or the movie first. No matter. They're both excellent, brimming with Dahl's wonderful sense of humour and empathy for children. The movie version gave us Pam Ferris as Miss Trunchbull... a truly unforgettable villain.


4. The NeverEnding Story (1984)



This was one of those movies that I watched over and over again as a child. It wasn't until years later that I finally read the book, and I absolutely loved it. Plus, I finally got to find out what Bastian's mother's name was (I spent years thinking it was something like "Mariah").


3. The Princess Bride (1987)



Like The Neverending Story, I never read The Princess Bride until years after I saw the movie. I never knew what I'd been missing! It's pretty funny, and I wish I had been able to read it first. It would have been awesome to see how nicely it was adapted.


2. Sense and Sensibility (2008)



I was never that crazy about the 1995 version of Sense and Sensibility. Emma Thompson, while an excellent actress, was just too darn old to play Elinor. It brought up some disturbing questions and hinted at a very dark few years for the Dashwood family (back then, there wasn't usually that much of an age difference between siblings unless quite a few had died)! Essentially, Sense and Sensibility is a story about two teenage girls... and I thought this version conveyed that much better. Plus, the guy who played Edward is hot.


1. The Secret Garden (1993)



While this probably isn't my favourite book of all time, it was made into one of my favourite movies of all time. I just love the look of it: the juxtaposition between the cold manor and the garden brimming with life... the costumes... the garden itself. I could sit and watch this movie many times... and I have! It's by far my favourite adaptation of this beloved story.

5 comments:

  1. I see we have one in common. This list was certainly fun to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list!!! I hadn't even thought of some of these. THanks for your comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, while I we don't have anything similar on the list, I absolutely love all these books and movies as well. Jurassic Park, forgot about that! And I can not believe I forgot about The Secret Garden! That is honestly one of my favorite movies. Everything about it, I just love. Now I feel like redoing the list just to add that one. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love the Ella Enchanted movie-- and I saw it before reading the book as well. I did like the book too but I also remember being surprised--- then I felt very silly because of course a book can't be a musical! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many great ones there that I had completely forgotten about, good choices!!

    ReplyDelete