Thursday, October 3, 2013

Review - Doug Unplugged

Doug Unplugged
by Dan Yaccarino
illustrated by Dan Yaccarino
Date: 2013
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 40
Format: e-book
Source: library

Doug is a robot. His parents want him to be smart, so each morning they plug him in and start the information download. After a morning spent learning facts about the city, Doug suspects he could learn even more about the city by going outside and exploring it. And so Doug... unplugs. What follows is an exciting day of adventure and discovery. Doug learns amazing things by doing and seeing and touching and listening—and above all, by interacting with a new friend.

Dan Yaccarino's funny story of robot rebellion is a great reminder that sometimes the best way to learn about the world is to go out and be in it.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

This is a short, cute book about the importance of unplugging from our constant sources of information and just getting out into the world to experience it.  The fun retro illustrations (done with brush and ink on vellum and Photoshop) really gave a sense of style to the whole book.

While kids will probably find this to be a neat story about a little boy robot, the overall message might be lost on them.  I think it's a far more important book for many of today's parents, who sometimes need to be reminded that kids need time away from their devices to play, explore the world, and just be kids.  I'm reminded of Goodnight iPad by Ann Droyd, another picture book with a similar theme; both books are good reminders that all of us need to take a break from technology once in a while.

Premise: 4/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 4/5
Illustrations: 4/5
Originality: 3/5
Enjoyment: 3/5

Overall: 3.6 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. What a cute cover! Despite your overall positive review, though, I doubt I'd read this, because it just doesn't fall into my kind of genre. But I do love the message it presents: that we shouldn't only live within our comfort zone, which for me is sitting in front of the computer the whole day, but venture out and do outdoor things. Too bad that that kind of mentality is fading fast. Like you said: it's good to take a break from technology and enjoy nature.

    "I think it's a far more important book for many of today's parents, who sometimes need to be reminded that kids need time away from their devices to play, explore the world, and just be kids." - I know! I mean, I'm not a parent yet (and I'm not even out of high school), but I know many children who are constantly playing with their parents' phones, or watching TV, or playing Facebook games. It's like, I never used to do that when I was little! I'm so grateful for the "different" kind of childhood I had, though. Times are changing -- and not really for the better.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete