Thursday, October 9, 2014

Booking Through Thursday (36)



Booking Through Thursday asks:

What’s your favorite genre that other people might not read? I mean, mysteries, romances, real-crime … these are all fairly widespread categories. But real readers don’t usually limit themselves to just the “big” genres … so what’s your favorite little-known type of book? Books on dogs? Knitting books? Stories about the space race? Mathematical theory?

I haven't read any books like this in a while, but I went through a phase a few years back where I was reading a lot of physics books.  Not classical physics, either.  I'm talking about the weirder-than-fiction worlds of quantum mechanics, holographic theory, and the vacuum state.

Then I was really into Spiral Dynamics for a while (which is, I guess, sort of in the realm of psychology).

And then I went through a really crafty phase, and my non-fiction reading was all about collage, crochet, and mixed media art.

Plus, I will read books on writing from time to time.  For fun.  On the down side, that sort of reading has taken some of the fun out of reading fiction... because now I'm picking out the weaknesses rather than just going along with the story.  (It's hard, though; how do you ignore the mistakes once you know they're there?)


Do you read books in an obscure genre?  Tell me all about it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment