Monday, October 13, 2014

Review - Thomas' Snowsuit

Thomas' Snowsuit
by Robert Munsch
illustrated by Michael Martchenko
Date: 1985
Publisher: Annick Press
Reading level: C
Book type: picture book
Pages: 24
Format: e-book
Source: library

Willful, young Thomas refuses to wear his new snowsuit, despite the pleas of his mother, his teacher and even his principal. When everyone's best efforts lead only to comedic chaos, they all agree it's best to let Thomas suit himself. This is marvelous mischief from Munsch and Martchenko.

(synopsis from Goodreads)

I'm a fan of Robert Munsch's books, and I have been since I was little.  I giggled through The Paper Bag Princess, sang along with Mortimer, and even had a French edition of Murmel, Murmel, Murmel (which, apparently, does not translate very well).  I can't recall reading Thomas' Snowsuit back then.  If I had, I'm not sure what sort of reaction I would have had... but as an adult reading it in 2014, I'm not that impressed.  In fact, it left me a little uneasy.

The premise of a willful child is fine... but I was a little weirded out by all the struggles which left the teacher and Thomas in their underwear... and then the teacher and the principal in each other's clothes, and Thomas still in his underwear.  There seems to be something slightly inappropriate about it all, and though the illustrations are cute and funny, they're not enough to overcome the idea of these oddly physical struggles with an underwear-clad kindergartener.

Quotable moment:

So the principal picked up Thomas in one hand and he picked up the teacher in the other hand, and he tried to get them back into their clothes. When he was done, the principal was wearing the teacher's dress, the teacher was wearing the principal's suit, and Thomas was still in his underwear.

Recommended to: hard-core Robert Munsch fans... though many of his other books are better

Premise: 2/5
Meter: n/a
Writing: 3/5
Illustrations: 3/5
Originality: 3/5

Enjoyment: 2/5

Overall: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment