Saturday, June 27, 2015

Unpopular Opinion Book Tag

I was tagged by the lovely Cait @ Paper Fury.  Unpopular opinions?  Aren't all of my opinions unpopular?  I seem to dislike the books that everyone else loves, anyway...

1. A popular book or series that you didn't like.

The Fault in Our Stars.  It's one of the most overrated, pretentious books I've ever read.  I'm also not the biggest fan of Harry Potter.  I know, I know... sacrilege!  My interest waned at around book #4; after that, I was more annoyed than entertained.  (I'm still glad I finished the series, though.)


2. A popular book or series that every one else seems to hate but you love.

This is a tricky question.  I don't think I love any truly hated books.  It's not like I'm a fan of Fifty Shades of Grey (that would make answering this particular question super easy)!

3. A love triangle where the MC ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with.

Um... all of them?  I'm not sure I've ever read a love triangle where the main character ended up with the person I wanted them to end up with.  Then again, I rarely ever finish series, so it's kind of hard to tell.  For this question, though, I'm going to have to go with The Hunger Games trilogy.


4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for.

Young adult contemporary.  I'm just not that interested.  Maybe if I was a teenager it would interest me more.  (I do want to read something by Sarah Dessen one day, though; I've heard her books are really good.)

5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.

Daemon Black from Jennifer L. Armentrout's Obsidian.  I read that book partly because everyone was gushing over how hot this guy was.  He's just a jerk... and I'm not into jerks.  Also, Celaena Sardothien, Sarah J. Maas's assassin who doesn't assassinate (at least, not in the first book).  Celaena's kind of a twit (which is why I might read the second book in the series, just to see what stupid things she ends up doing).


6. A popular author that you can't seem to get into.

Marissa Meyer.  As much as I love the basic premise of her Lunar Chronicles series, I just can't get past the execution.  I've read the first two books, and I can't bring myself to continue.


7. A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing. (examples "lost princess", corrupt ruler, love triangles, etc.)

Ordinary boy/girl realizes he/she has superpowers/is actually a supernatural creature.  (Although, I just finished a book with this very trope and I really enjoyed it.  Maybe I'm just tired of seeing this one done badly.)

8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.

Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking trilogy.  I read one of his stand-alone books and hated the way it was written.  So I'm pretty sure I don't want to read a trilogy written by him.

9. The saying goes "The book is always better than the movie", but what movie or TV show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?

I usually prefer the books.  But I guess I'll go with any of the number of Jane Austen film adaptations I've seen.  I haven't actually read any of her books from start to finish, although I will watch some of those movies again and again... so that must say something about my media preference!


What are some of your unpopular opinions about books?  If you've read this far, consider yourself tagged!  Let me know about those unpopular opinions of yours in the comments or in your own blog post.

6 comments:

  1. You're not alone La Coccinelle - I was a bit mediocre about The Fault in Our Stars as well. And I loved the first few Harry Potter books, but the last ones just didn't cut it for me either. :| Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous post! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was my favourite book of the series. I wish the quality had stayed high after that!

      Delete
  2. I've never actually seeing a Jane Austen film. haha I've only read Persuasion by her, which was fine, but I don't think her books are really all my thing.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the BBC's 2008 version of Sense and Sensibility. And you can't really go wrong with the Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth (and his wet shirt) as Mr. Darcy.

      Delete
  3. I seem to not get the popular books. I do once in a while, but usually with all the hype around about them, I just don't seem to get out of them what others say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to realize that, with most books, the more hype there is, the less likely I am to like them. I just don't seem to see what other people see when it comes to characterization, world-building, etc.

      Delete